Friday 18 January 2013

Solaris - Third party management tools

So a New Year is upon us and I'd thought I'd better document what tools I use for managing the Solaris environment - if anyone read my ramblings I would be interested to see what you use.

Free Tools:

SSH connectivity - putty
SFTP connections to move files around - coreftp
GUI connectivity - Xming

I've used putty for a number of years on and off and it does the job admirably. I do like the fact it can be setup to record input and output which has helped me out a couple of times.

For file transfer I've started using coreftp as I read somewhere that the FileZilla client stored the SFTP password in clear text..... I hadn't read anything bad about coreftp.

We did have some older Exceed licenses for GUI connectivity and when I got given a Windows 7 build they weren't valid for a supported install - so I went looking for a freebie and stumbled across Xming which connects great but it doesn't like to be logged out so I just click on the X in the top right hand corner to kill the window. Nothing flags in the logs as being a problem afterwards but I'd rather not exit it that way and I will investigate a little more when I have time

No comments:

Post a Comment