Tuesday 9 October 2012

Microsoft - Booting Hyper-V 2012 from a USB stick

Coming from a VMware Virtualisation background and being new to Hyper-V I wanted to look at how I would do common tasks - in VMware ESXi gets installed on a internal USB stick (well, that's the option we use and how the servers are configured) so how do I do that in Hyper-V?

In short - you can't if you want any support off Microsoft.

NOTE: They do have a guide which allows OEMs to do it for you which is supported.

That aside, feel free to follow the guide to install it in a lab environment which will be what I'll be doing!

I also found a short video showing you how to do this (which follows the Microsoft instructions).

Alternatively you just get the ISO image for ESXi and follow the installation instructions to install it on hard disk or USB...... just a thought.....

No comments:

Post a Comment